Rules for the Volleyball Libero
Volleyball Libero Designation - Volleyball Rules
Each team can designate one specialized player as "Libero".
The Libero must be recorded on the score sheet before the match in the special line reserved for this. The number must be recorded on the line-up sheet of the first set (game).
The libero's number must be indicated on the line-up sheet for each set.
The libero can not be team captain or game captain.
Volleyball Libero Equipment
The libero must where a uniform (or jacket for the re-designation libero) whose jersey must at least contrast in color with the rest of the team members.
The libero uniform may have a different design but must be numbered like the rest of the team members.
If a jacket is worn by the re-designated libero, the uniform number must still be visible.
Actions involving the libero - Volleyball Rules
Playing actions of the volleyball libero
- The libero is allowed to replace in player that is in a back row position.
- The libero is restricted to perform as a back row player and isn't allowed to complete an attack hit from anywhere if at the moment of contact, the ball is entirely above the top of the net.
- The libero may not block, attempt to block, or serve.
- A player may not complete an attack hit from higher than the top of the net, if a ball is coming from an overhead finger pass from a libero in the front zone or it's extension.
Volleyball Rules for libero replacement of players
- Replacements involving the libero aren't counted as regular subs. They are unlimited but there must be a rally in between two libero replacements. The libero can only be replaced by the player whom he/she replaced.
- Replacements must only take place while the ball is out of play and before the whistle for service. At the start of a set, the libero can't enter the court until the second referee has checked the starting line-up.
- A replacement made after the whistle for service but before the service hit shouldn't be rejected but must be the object of a verbal caution after the end of the rally. Subsequent late replacements must be subject to a delay sanction.
- The libero and replacing player may only enter or leave the court by the side line in front of their team bench between the attack line and the end line.
|VOLLEYBALL RULES TIP:
The libero is a special defensive player on the team that is only allowed to play for back row players. Rules in volleyball allow the libero to quickly make exchanges with back row players during dead ball situations. These exchanges are different from regular subs because the libero can replace any player in the back row.
Volleyball Rules for re-designation of a new libero
- In the case of an injury to a designated libero, and with the previous approval of the first referee, the coach or game captain can re-designate one of the players not on the court at the moment of re-designation as a new libero.
- The injured libero can't re-enter to play for the remainder of the match.
- The player re-designated as libero must remain libero for the remainder of the set.
- In the case of re-designating a libero, the libero's number must be recorded in the remarks box on the score sheet.
Kenda S. Lenberg: USA Volleyball Domestic Competition Regulations: pp. 52-54.
Libero Volleyball Rules Related Pages
Top 4 Rules
Volleyball Libero Definition